I love cooking with my friend, Marty Schultz and this time on The Chef, You and I, we will be preparing some of her favorite recipes.
Puff Pastry Veggie Crown
- 3 Zucchini
- 12 oz Campari Tomatoes Sliced or quartered
- 8 oz Feta Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz Pine nuts
- Cut Pastry Sheet into Large Circle slicing six three-inch cuts from the center of the circle outwards makes star shape. Brush Egg wash over entire pastry circle. Cut Zucchini into long ribbons. Cut mi nature to mates in half, arrange zucchini ribbons on the outside of the pastry circle place tomatoes around the ribbons crumble feta cheese around the zucchini and tomatoes, sprinkle pine nuts also and then fold over each triangle to end of Puff Pastry brush triangle with egg wash. Bake at 400F 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 1 Large onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrots sliced thin
- 1 lb bacon chopped
- 2 Stalks celery finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth Make sure potatoes are completely covered
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/3 cup kale can use frozen thawed Kale as well stems remove and chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a dutch oven until done. Remove the bacon, drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease. Cook celery, carrot and onion in the 1/4 cup bacon grease until soft. Stir in the minced garlic, cook for 1 minute more. Add cubed potatoes, toss to coat. Saute the potatoes 3 or 4 minutes. Place the fried bacon back in the pan. Add enough chicken broth to the pan to cover the potatoes, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a heavy duty saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, whisk in the flour, cook and whisk the mixture for 2 minutes to remove the flour taste. While still whisking add the cream in a slow stream to the flour mixture. Cook and whisk until mixture thickens, add the Tarragon and Kale to the pot. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Inspired by Bunny’s Warm Oven Recipe
Marty’s Puff Pastry Apple Turnovers
Permission Granted to use the Recipe
- 5 medium Granny Smith Apples cut into small pieces
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 eggs
- Cinnamon to taste
- Peel apples and chop into small pieces mix Cinnamon with sugar
- Combine apples with sugar mix. Cut Pastry Sheets into 9 equal pieces
- In the middle of each square place apple mixture fold over forming a little pocket place on parchment paper. Wisk the eggs brush each pocket with egg mixture Bake at 415F -15 minutes or until golden Brown. Let Cool dust with Powered Sugar and serve.