In this episode of “The Chef, You, and I,” Kathryn gives you ideas for a special Valentine’s Day menu. Recipes include Tomato Mozzarella Appetizer, Sausage stuffed Mushrooms, and Marinated Pork Chops with Lemon Pimento Asparagus. Kathryn prepares a light Angel Food dessert with Strawberries and Raspberries for dessert.
Kathryn’s Tomato and Mozzarella Appetizer
- 1 Lg Heritage Tomato cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 to 6 Leaf Lettuce Pieces butter is good, but any leafy lettuce is okay.
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- Arrange the Lettuce in an outer circle around a Round Dinner Plate. Arrange a slice of Mozzarella Cheese in Center of the plate and starting from the top of lettuce leaf add slice of cheese then add slice of tomato alternating cheese and then tomato slice do this until you reach the other side of the plate. Mix Lemon Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar and pour over the tomato and mozzarella cheese. Finally, sprinkle the chopped Basil leaves on each slice of tomato and cheese. Serve as an appetizer or as a side dish with the main meal.
*Note: Extra Virgin Lemon Olive Oil is a nice substitute
Kathryn’s Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 to 8 Lg Button Mushrooms
- 8 oz Ground Pork Sausage I used Circle B Ranch Pork
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sm onion diced
- 2 to 3 Tbsp Fresh Basil and Parsley Chopped
- ½ cup Philadelphia Garden Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Panko Crumbs
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- Ground Kosher Salt and Ground Peppercorns to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Clean mushroom caps: Remove stems from mushrooms and use a spoon to scrape out the gills. Arrange mushroom caps on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, brown the sausage. Remove from pan. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When hot, add the onions season with salt and pepper. Add all ingredients fresh parsley and basil, sauté for 30 seconds. Add the Add the sausage back into the pan, stir. Simmer for at least 10 minutes to let flavors combine.
- Spoon sausage mixture into the mushrooms, top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are tender. Finish under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown cheese, if desired.
MARINA’S PORK MARINADE WITH MARINA’S CRANBERRY CHUTNEY
PERMISSSION WAS GIVEN TO USE MARINA’S RECIPES ON OUR TV SHOWS AND ON OUR WEB SITE
- 1 sm onion diced
- 2 Circle B Ranch Pork Chops
- 2 Tbsp Peach Apricot Marmalade
- 2 Tbsp Marina’s Cranberry Chutney
- 2 Tbsp low salt soy sauce
- 1 piece ginger diced
- 2 Tbsp white wine should be one you would drink
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together and add salt and pepper. Pierce the Pork Chops with a fork then put the pork chops in a plastic bag. Pour the marinade into the bag and squish around so that it is fully incorporated into the meat. Marinade Pork chops for 1 hour or longer, Preheat the Oven to 375 Degrees. Take the Pork Chops out of Marinade and Pat Dry Then heat the Frying Pan up and Seare Meat on Both sides. Put the Pork Chops in a greased Pan I Added a little of the Marinade which I poured over the meat. Place in the pre-heated oven until the read thermometer reads 140 to 145 degrees. Place on Platter and Garnish.
Kathryn’s Lemon Balsamic Asparagus
- 1 Bundle Fresh Asparagus Trim tough ends
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup Lemon Olive oil* see note
- 2 Tbsp lemon Juice
- 7 oz jar chopped pimento
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Pre-Heat oven to 400 degrees. Clean asparagus and snap tough ends off. Lay asparagus onto the Cookie sheet sprayed with non stick cooking spray (I used Corn Huskers Gourmet Duck Fat Spray).
- Mix all the Balsamic Vinegar, Lemon Oil, and Lemon juice in a small jar (or bowl) and pour over the Asparagus. Next, sprinkle the pimentos over the asparagus.
- Bake at 400 Degrees for 10 minutes.
*note: If you don’t have lemon olive oil, grate the lemon before juicing and add to the oil/vinegar mix.
Light Angel Food dessert with Strawberries and Raspberries
- 4 to 8 Strawberries sliced (leave two strawberries whole for topper)
- 8 oz Raspberries
- Angel Food Cake I used a store bought
- 8 oz carton of Light Cool Whip
- First, break up two slices of Angel Food cake into small pieces. Next, put a couple of tablespoons of Cool whip into the bottom of the dish. The next layer is slices of strawberries and a few raspberries followed by some of the Angel Food cake on top. Repeat. For the final layer, add a thin layer of cool whip and in the middle place the whole Strawberry.