This year, I’m bringing you a Texas-style Valentine’s Day show using products from some of my sponsors. Recipes from JD Chili Parlor, prepared in 360 Cookware and finishing off the meal with chocolates from Fames Chocolates. Fasten your seatbelts because we have a full show for you this month.
Kathryn Raaker’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6 Fresh corn tortillas cut into 1" strips
- ¼ cup Virgin Olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 Medium Poblano Pepper chopped (or half Jalapeno Pepper)
- 4 to 5 cups Chicken Broth Homemade or low salt Chicken broth
- ¼ cup JD’s Prickly Pear Tequila Enchilada Sauce
- 14 oz can No salt added diced tomatoes
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 Avocado ripe
- ¾ cup Mild cheddar cheese Shredded
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Bake the tortillas in Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes to dry them out. Important not to have moisture in the tortilla. I used a Kitchen shear to cut out the strips. I cut them in half then into ¼ inch strips. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a 3-quart pot I use 360 pans. Working in 3 batches, fry the tortilla strips in the oil, until lightly browned and crisp. Remove the Tortilla strips from the pan and let drain on a paper-towel-lined plate. Sauté the chopped onions cook for about one minute or two stirring frequently. Add chopped chili and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the broth, tomatoes, and pinch of salt. Increase the heat until it boils, then reduce the heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and cook until heated through about 5 to 7 minutes more. Peel and cut the avocado into 1-inch pieces. Ladle your soup into the bowls Top with avocado strips and cheese Divide half the Tortilla strips among the 4 individual bowls and add to the top of the bowls and add cilantro serve with lime wedges. Delicious!!!!!
JD’s Frito Big Bites
- 1 1/2 lbs Ground beef browned
- 1 Jar JD’s Chili Fixin’s I used Prickly Pear
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Frito’s Big Scoops
- First, in a large pan, brown the ground beef and the onions. Add one jar of JD’s Chili Fixin’s and jalapeños. Let it cook until the liquid is reduced (about 10 min on medium heat). Just before serving: On a serving dish, lay smear of Avocado Lime Crema. Line up the Scoops on the crema. Put about 1 serving teaspoon of the chili into each scoop. Top with cheese and a little dollop of crema.
JD’s Avocado Lime Crema
- 2 cups plain yogurt Greek Yogurt will make it thicker
- 1 Avocado
- 1-2 jalapeños seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and add sea salt to taste.
JD’s Prickly Pear Chicken Enchiladas
- 1/2 onion Chopped
- 1/4 cup : ¼ cup tequila
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 ½ cups shredded chicken cooked (Rotisseri chicken is great for this)
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese (1 cup each of cheddar and pepper jack cheese)
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema Optional but recommended (link provided)
- To assemble:
- Set oven to 350ºF (Or see below for microwave instructions)
- Spread 1/4 cup sauce in the bottom of a 9×11″ pan. Warm tortillas on a dry skillet over medium heat until pliable. (I use a little spray avocado here.)
- Dip a tortilla into the sauce on both sides. Fill with Shredded or ground cooked Chicken and Mexican blend cheese. Roll up and put into pan seam-side-down. Roll all enchiladas that way. Spread remaining sauce over the top and more cheese.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until cheese is melted. Or microwave on medium power for 7 minutes.
- Top with JD’s Creama before serving.
JD’s Texas Red Shooter
- Salt or Chili Powder to rim glasses
- ¾ cup Silver Tequila or Vodka
- ¾ cup JD’s Chili Mary
- Green olives
- Rim shot glass with chili powder or Kosher salt
- Pour ¾ silver tequila, (or vodka if you prefer) and 3’4 chilled JD’s Chili Mary
- Add one stuffed olive on a toothpick.
- After the shot, have fun!