Kathryn and her friend, fellow chef, Terry Young, explore some interesting recipes using Bruce’s Yams.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake
- 1 16.5 oz box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes Drained and pureed
- 1/4 cup Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes syrup (reserve from the can)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 14 oz can Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt cake pan; set aside.
- Blend cake mix, eggs, water, Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes syrup and oil in a large bowl until moistened. Mix in yams and mayonnaise and beat for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow cake to sit for 5 minutes then invert onto a wire rack.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and butter.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the chips are just melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Cool slightly before drizzling over a cake.
Recipe courtesy Bruce’s Yams
Sweet Potato Hummus
Bruce's Yams is a great way to start our Sweet Potato Hummus. It is as easy as 1, 2, 3, and is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. Nine delicious ingredients, and everything is blended in a food processor!
- 1 cup Bruce’s Yams Cut sweet Potatoes drained
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice Fresh is best
- 1/4 cup Tahini sesame paste
- 5 garlic cloves roasted or raw
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- Transfer Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes into a food processor. Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, Tahini, garlic, olive oil, cumin, salt and about 2 tbs. of water to start with.
- Pulse the mixture until smooth, scraping down the sides of bowl and adding water to thin mixture if it seems too thick.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with a drizzle of olive oil. Add a sprinkle of paprika if desired.
Sweet Potato Cheese Ball
Spice up your next party with Bruce’s Sweet Potato Cheese Ball. Our cheese ball combines Bruce’s Sweet Potatoes, cream cheese, and apricot jam for an out of this world flavor combination that is sure to be the highlight of your next tailgate or party.
- 3 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1 15 oz can Bruce’s Yam Cut Sweet Potatoes; drained well
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp Apricot jam
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, sweet potatoes, Parmesan cheese, apricot jam, and parsley until just combined.
- Form mixture into a ball, wrap in waxed paper or cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir together the pecans, cinnamon and sugar and transfer to a plate. Roll the cheese ball into the mixture to completely cover.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve with crackers.
KATHRYN’S MINI CHICKEN APPETIZERS
This is a quick and simple appetizer for any party or potluck. You can either cook the chicken or use a rotisserie chicken.
- 1 ½ cups chopped cooked chicken
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 1 ½ tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp parsley or chopped chives
- 2 8 count cans Refrigerator crescent rolls (you can use Mini Pastry Puffs)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray or use parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix cream cheese, cooked chicken, lemon pepper, parsley or chives until well blended.
- Unroll crescent rolls and cut each triangle into 2 triangles (when you unroll the crescent rolls, 2 triangles are attached making a big square, I just cut from there following the perforation for one cut and made another cut from the other corners giving you 4 little triangles)
- Place one teaspoon of chicken mixture in the center of each crescent triangle. Fold the corners over the chicken mixture and place on prepared pan.
- Bake for 10- 13 minutes
Chili Cheese Dip
- 12 oz Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese
- 15 oz Jar Mild Salsa
- 12 oz Chili with Beans
- On the stove top add all ingredients or you can use a slow cooker
- Heat all ingredients until Cream cheese is totally melted and all the ingredients are combined.
- Serve with tortilla chips or vegetables.