Father Umberg joins Kathryn again with some of his recipes for grilling. In addition, Kathryn makes her “mock”trifle which is the perfect paring to these recipes.
- ½ head Green Cabbage Cut into small wedges
- 1 Lg onion – cut into 8 pieces but with root end intact.
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce or more to taste
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 4 Tbsp butter
- Aluminum Foil Alt – 4 precut Aluminum foil
- Lay the Aluminum foil on a flat surface and put one cabbage wedge sprinkle lightly with Tabasco, salt and pepper, a pat of butter, and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Repeat on the other side. Next, put two pieces of the onion and close the foil packet. Repeat three more times and place it on the grill. Ready in 25 minutes turning once. Serve with Chicken and Cooked Kale.
Grilled Chicken Breasts
- 4 Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 cloves of Garlic peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup of Soy Sauce – we used low sodium
- 1/3 Cup of Virgin Olive oil
- ¼ tsp of Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp of white vinegar
- Put the chicken in a deep dish. In a small bowl or measuring cup add Soy Sauce, minced garlic, pepper, Olive Oil, and White Vinegar. Stir marinade and pour over chicken. Cover with Saran Wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Turn the Chicken Breast at least once during the process so the marinade is absorbed into the chicken breast.
- Grill on outside grill or stovetop Grill if breast are medium size 5 minutes on each side check to make sure that they are thoroughly done by cutting into them and if red juice come out keep them on for another minute or so. Put on serving plate and serve with Cabbage Wedges and Sautéed Kale.
Father Umberg’s Sautéed Kale with Garlic
- 2 bunches Fresh Kale – cut off stems –Chop Kale May also use 1 large bag of baby kale
- 2 Tbsp of Virgin Olive oil
- 1 tsp of Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 ½ tsp salt Divided
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Cloves garlic – minced About 1 Tbsp
- 2 quarts Water
- In a large pan, bring the water to a boil. Once it is at a boil, add 1 tsp salt and the chopped kale. Blanch the kale for about 3 minutes and drain. Kale should look bright Green.
- Heat a Sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil and minced garlic until fragrant but not browned. Next, add kale and crushed red pepper. Add pepper and salt to taste. Sauté the kale for about 3 or 4 minutes moving it around turn the stove off. Put into a Serving Bowl.
- Triffle dish
- 1 Sponge or pound Cake
- 2/3 cup Sherry
- 1 qtr pkg Fresh Raspberries
- 1 qtr pkg Fresh Strawberries – cut in half reserve two (2 strawberries for garnish)
- 1 qtr pkg Fresh Blueberries
- 16 oz container Light Cool Whip
- Cut up cake into squares – Use large Trifle Container or glass bowl.
- Place a layer of cake in the bottom of the dish, sprinkle sherry over the first layer, and then add strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Then add three large spoonsful of Cool whip on top of the berries and cake.
- Repeat till you have at least three (3) or four (4) layers. Then at the top use one or two Strawberries on top of the top layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.