Another place we visited this year, was a wonderful restaurant in New Orleans. In these segments, Kathryn prepares recipes from Chef Alon Shaya.
Thanks to Tommy Bahama Resturant and Grill for the use of this recipe.
First, Kathryn prepares, “Charred Broccoli Salad.”
Charred Broccoli Salad
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 bunches Broccoli (Approximately 8 cups cut florets, fresh or frozen)
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1-2 tsp Yellow Curry Powder (to taste)
- 1 cup sliced almonds (with skin on)
- 2 Tbsp Ginger (fresh and minced)
- 6 tsp olive oil
- 2-4 tsp Yellow Curry Powder (to taste)
- 1/2 cup Blue Plate Light Mayonnaise®
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or raisins
- Preheat your oven to broil. In a mixing bowl, toss the broccoli florets with olive oil, kosher salt, and yellow curry powder from Step 1. Place on baking sheet on the bottom shelf of the oven and roast for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through and lightly charred. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. In an 8-10-inch sauté pan, place the sliced almonds, minced ginger, garlic, and olive oil from Step 2. Turn flame to medium low and let cook slowly while stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until the almonds are golden brown. Look for a gentle sizzle of the ingredients in the oil to ensure your pan does not get too hot. Once almonds are golden, add the curry powder and cook for an additional 1 minute. Remove from the heat and pour over the cooked broccoli. Stir in the Light Mayonnaise with Greek Yogurt and dried cherries. Enjoy this salad warm or chilled.