Kathryn and Father Umber enjoy cooking recipes for Oktoberfest. Today they are preparing Sauerbraten with noodles, red cabbage, and Brussel sprouts. Enjoy!
Father Andrew’s Red Cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 medium head Red Cabbage Slice cabbage 2-inch strips and 1/4-inch width
- 1 medium apple peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup Dark Malt Vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 7 cloves
- 1/3 cup Blackberry Jelly, Jam, or Preserves
- Sauté chopped onions in Butter and olive oil.
- Then add shredded cabbage stir with the sauté onions. Add vinegar, water, salt, pepper, and cloves. Mix in chopped apples. Cover and Simmer half an hour. After simmering whisk in jelly/preserves. Finally, Put in Serving Dish serve with Sauerbraten over noodles.
Father Andrew’s Sauerbraten
- 3 lbs Beef Rump Roast
- 1 Large red onion chopped
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup red wine (we used Cabernet)
- 1 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 10- 15 peppercorns or more to taste
- 8-12 whole cloves or more to taste
- 1/4 cup Pickling Spice in a tea diffuser or tied into cheesecloth
- 1 Lemon optional (Slice lemons if you desire more sour)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- 10-12 Gingersnap cookies crumbled
- 1 Package Noodles, Spaetzle, or Pasta
- Add vinegar, wine, water, cloves, onions, and salt into a saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 min. Add pickling spice and simmer another 10 min. Cool to room temperature.
- Place beef rump roast in a large pot. Cover with brine and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days. Important to turn meat daily.
- When you are ready to roast the meat, preheat the oven to 360-375 degrees. Remove meat from brine and pat dry with paper towels, reserving the brining liquid.
- Roast the beef until tender, about 50 to 60 min. Remove beef to a platter and slice.
- While the meat is roasting, boil water for noodles and cook according to package directions. (If using pasta, cook beyond al dente). Drain and put in a large serving bowl.
- Strain solids from remaining liquid and continue cooking over medium heat. Add crushed gingersnap cookies and simmer until gravy is thickened about 10 minutes. Serve gravy over sliced beef & noodles.
Braised Brussel Sprouts
- 10-12 oz bag Fresh Brussel Sprouts Cleaned and quartered
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Instant Onion Flakes
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp water
- In a large frying pan melt the butter and add oil and heat on low add the Brussel sprouts to the melted butter and oil and coat the sprouts. Add instant onion add Cayenne pepper to the mixture and simmer for 10 minutes then add ¼ cup of water then they will get a little brown and crunchy add salt and then Hoisin Sauce coat the Brussel Sprouts and cook for 1 minute on low.
- Serve with Sauerbraten and noodles.