In this episode, Kathryn enjoys preparing some recipes for Lent. Join Kathryn and Father Andrew as they prepare a Shrimp Ceviche, Scorched Brussel Sprouts, and Shrimp and Pasta.
Father Andrew’s Ceviche
This dish is prepared by "cooking" the shrimp in a marinade.
- 1 lb raw large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice about two lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice about 3 limes
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds and vein removed, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 c Italian Parsley chopped
- 1/16 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp black Pepper
- First, blister the Jalapeno Pepper either over an open flame or in the oven using the broiler until the skin is blackened. Let it cool in a bowl that is covered with plastic wrap. Once cooled, remove skin and seeds and dice the pepper.
- Next, dice the raw Shrimp into the small pieces (about 1/2 inch) and put them in the bowl and add both the lemon and lime juice. Stir in the Jalapeno, garlic, onion, and 1/4 c chopped parsley.
- Add the Cayenne Pepper, olive oil, salt, and Black Pepper.
- Lastly, chill for about 2-3 hours. Then plate and serve the Ceviche.
Chinese Wok Scorched Brussel Sprouts
These scorched Brussel Sprouts are an excellent side dish for meals during Lent or any other time of the year.
- ½ large bag Brussel Sprouts
- 4 tablespoons Peanut oil
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers (cut and seeded- quarter)
- ½ Can of Pineapple –chopped
- 2 Tablespoon of Garlic
- 1/16 tablespoon Cayenne
- ½ of the can of juice
- Cut the knobs off Brussel Sprouts and quarter them.
- Next, scald the Jalapeno Peppers in a skillet and then add the Brussel Sprouts.
- Add about 1/16 tablespoon of Cayenne Pepper and cook for 4 to 5 minutes
- Finally, add Pineapple chunks to the mixture and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the pineapple is heated through.
- Put the mixture into a bowl.
Pasta and Shrimp-Fr Andrew
This is a twist on Father Andrew's Shrimp & Pasta dish.
Servings: 6 people
- 1/2 box Rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tbsp Garlic or dried onion Minced
- 1 pound Fresh Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper (Fresh Ground)
- 20 Club Crackers Crushed
- 1 bunch Italian Parsley
- Romano Cheese or Parmesan for taste
- Cook pasta until al dente
- Add Olive oil and Butter to a skillet heat it up then add the Garlic, salt the garlic and the add shrimp
- Cook the shrimp until it’s a light pink -Make sure the shrimp is done
- Add cooked pasta to the shrimp mixture
- Chop parsley and add to mixture
- Add 20 Club Crackers- smash the crackers into the mixture.
- Ready to serve it.
- Put the Pasta onto a platter and then add Parmesan Romano Cheese