In this episode of The Chef, You and I, Kathryn and her guest, Christine Simolke prepare some Italian dishes. They also discuss Christine’s new book, Children of Italy.
Peppers Siciliano from Patsy's Restaurant NYC
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 Tbsp. for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic optional
- 4 roasted red bell peppers sliced
- 1 Tbsp chopped anchovies with oil
- 2 Tbsp capers rinsed and drained
- 18 kalamata olives chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chopped basil or 1/2 tsp. dried
- Pinch dried Oregano
- 1/3 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Loaf of Italian bread sliced and toasted
- Preheat broiler. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, if using, sauté, add peppers, sauté for 2 minutes. Add anchovies, capers, olives, basil, oregano, broth & wine. Stir until blended & cook 3-4 minutes. Add salt & pepper. Place spoonful of mixture on toasted Italian bread. Sprinkle each with breadcrumbs & drizzle with olive oil. Broil on low for 2-3 minutes, until topping is golden.
Antipasto Salad - Vegetarian
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 16 oz jar jar pepperoncini or friggitello pickled peppers
- 16 black olives or kalamata olives
- 1 English cucumber peeled & chopped
- 4 oz mozzarella or provolone cheese cubed
- Fresh basil and parsley chopped
- 1 15 oz can can chick peas drained, Garbanzo
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Mix salad Ingredients in a large bowl. Combine dressing ingredients in a pint Mason jar, shake to combine. Pour over salad and toss.
Pasta Bean Soup (Pasta e Fagioli)
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves Minced Garlic optional
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 15 oz cans Cannellini beans or pinto beans
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cup vegetable or chicken broth + more
- 1 1/4 cup Ditalini pasta
- 1 tsp Basil dried or 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh
- 1 tsp Oregano dried (optional)
- 2 tsp parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese grated
- In olive oil, cook onion, garlic, celery over medium heat until lightly browned. Add beans, tomatoes & broth. Add seasonings (basil, oregano, parsley, garlic or regular salt, pepper. Cook for 30 minutes, bring to a boil & add pasta. Stir and check pasta at 8-10 minutes, may need slightly longer for your taste. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Cooked Apples w/ Raisins & Pecans
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Apples (Honey Crisp Fuigi or Granny Smith
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped Pecans
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- Core, peel and slice apples. In a large skillet, melt butter and brown sugar. Add apple slices. Sprinkle with raisins, pecans and brown sugar. Cook for several minutes.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Lower calorie option:
- Omit butter and brown sugar. Spray skillet with cooking spray to brown Apples. Substitute Splenda or other sugar substitute in place of brown sugar.