This Halloween, Kathryn invited young chef, Carter Eppley and his mother, Sheri, to help her prepare some ghoulish recipes that are kid-friendly as well as fun.
Pumpkin Cheese Ball
- 16 oz of room temperature Cream Cheese
- 1 ½ cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3 tablespoons of minced onion
- 2 tablespoons of salsa
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- And 1 teaspoon of minced jalapeno. For little kids omit the jalapeno pepper
- 1 Green Bell Pepper stem
- With a mixer, blend the cream cheese then add 1 ½ cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese 3 tablespoons of minced onion, 2 tablespoons of salsa, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, and 1 teaspoon of minced jalapeno. (For little kids, omit the jalapeno pepper). Scoop all onto plastic wrap, and use the wrap to form a 5-inch pumpkin-shaped ball, chill for at least two hours. Later, unwrap put the Green Bell Pepper stem in the middle of the ball, and serve with Black (or Blue) Nacho Tortilla Chips.
Recipe courtesy of Michelle Buffardi from the Cooking Channel
Nutrition Calories: 623kcal I Carbohydrates: 79g I Protein: 21 g I Fat: 26g I Saturated Fat: 6g I Cholesterol: 20mg I Sodium: 712mg I Fiber: 5g I Sugar: 6g
- Calories: 623kcal I Carbohydrates: 79g I Protein: 21 g I Fat: 26g I Saturated Fat: 6g I Cholesterol: 20mg I Sodium: 712mg I Fiber: 5g I Sugar: 6g
- Blender or Food Processor
- 1 cup basil fresh
- 2 cloves garlic (Optional we did not use)
- 1/3 oz pinenuts dried
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 dash salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 16 oz whole wheat pasta shells
- 3 medium cucumber
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup black olives canned
- In a blender or food processor combine basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan, salt (you can add pepper if you want as weland olive oil. Taste and add more salt, pepper or garlic if desired.
- Bring a pot of water (about 5 cupto a boil and add whole wheat pasta. Cook according to box instructions. Drain and add pesto sauce. Stir well and let cool.
- Peel and chop up 1 1 /2 of the cucumbers and stir into pasta.
- Pour out onto a platter and make a rectangle out of the pasta. Cut two slices of mozzarella and make them into circles using a cookie cutter or knife. Use olives to create Frank's hair, pupils and mouth. Use the rest of the cucumber to make "bolts" in the side of his neck.
Recipe courtesy of Super Healthy kids
Deviled Ham and Eyeball Sandwich
- 20 Slices white bread Arnold Brick or Sourdough bread
- 2 cups cooked ham chopped about 8 oz.
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp pickle relish
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce (I left out)
- 3 dashes hot sauce I omitted the hot sauce
- Kosher salt
- 10 pimento-stuffed green olives sliced in half
- Ketchup for squirting
- Punch out the rounds from the bread using the 2 ½ round cookie cutter.
- Layout the rounds on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Add Ham, mayonnaise, honey, mustard, relish, Worcestershire sauce, in the bowl of a food processor. Sprinkle with salt and pulse until finely chopped, but still chunky. Spoon a tablespoon at a time of the ham mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll each spoonful into round balls. Stuff one olive in the center of each ball for eyes. Lay the balls in the center of the bread rounds. Squirt ketchup around the edges of the bread to mimic veins.
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro
Nutrition Calories: 204kcal I Carbohydrates: 26g I Protein: 8g I Fat: 9g I Saturated Fat: 1g I Sodium: 487mg I Fiber: 1g I Sugar: 3g
- 4 oz pretzel sticks or twists
- 4 piece Mini Babybel Original Cheese
- 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Have the kids stick pretzels into the sides of their cheese for legs. Then add chocolate chips on top for eyes; use a dab of nut butter if necessary to make them stick. Serve any extra ingredients on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Super Healthy kids