It is wonderful to be able to celebrate again with family and friends, so my pastor, Father Umberg, joins me in preparing some recipes from Grandma Raaker. Father grilled some brats to go with the potato salad. Hope you enjoy.
With summer in full swing, I enjoyed preparing a few recipes for Father’s Day and the 4th of July with my friend and Pastor, Father Umberg. Check out this video for some summer grilling ideas as well as a couple of favorites from Grandma Raaker.
Grandma Raaker’s Carrot Cake
- Angel Food Cake pan
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cup salad oil
- 4 eggs add one at a time
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour less 2 Teaspoons
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Almond Flavoring
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts – optional
- 3 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for Topping
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp White Karo Syrup
- Preheat oven 350° F
- Mix all ingredients with a spoon use Angel Food Pan
- Bake for 1 ½ hours. 10 minutes before taking cake from oven mix
- Ingredients for Topping
- Put in large Pan (it will boil up and fill a quart pan) bring to boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven pour liquid over the cake in the cake pan until cool.
- (Important to see if cake is cool or will break)
- Then take a piece of wax paper sprinkle Powder Sugar on the wax paper rather thick, and turn cake on sugar upside down.
- Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes then put on plate and enjoy.
Grandma Raaker’s German Potato Salad
- 5 lbs Red Potatoes boil in skin
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 4 stalks celery chop in small pieces
- 1 lb bacon fried crisp
- 6 Hardboiled Eggs
- ¾ cup vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 4 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- Fry Bacon, save grease to sauté onion in, cut and peel potatoes, add celery bacon salt and pepper to taste. In onion grease, add vinegar, sugar and water, bring to boil thicken. Dissolve corn starch in about ¼ cup water. Add potatoes add chopped eggs, salt and celery seeds, then serve.