Once again I had a great time cooking with my pastor, Father Umberg. This time we are preparing an Italian Sausage with Broccolini and Pasta along with some grilled vegetables and a refreshing cucumber & onion salad. If you have trouble finding broccolini you can substitute broccoli. Enjoy.
Father Andrew’s Cucumber Salad
- 2 medium cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1 Medium Onion Sliced or chopped
- 1 ½ cups cider or white vinegar
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar (We used 3 packets of Splenda)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp fresh dill weed chopped
- Add two thinly Sliced Cucumbers to Bowl add chopped onion, add water and vinegar,
- Sprinkle sugar or Splenda on the cucumber and onion salad add salt and pepper and sprinkle with dill weed. Use salad tong and mix the cucumber and onion mixture. Cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Kathryn’s Italian Sausage with Broccolini and Pasta
- 1 pound Fusilli pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 mild Italian sausages casings removed
- 2 Tbsp garlic minced
- 2 cups broccolini cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- Boil Fusilli pasta in slightly salted water until al dente.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook until lightly browned. While the sausage cooks use a wooden spoon or spatula to help break up the meat.
- Add the garlic and broccolini to the sauté pan, and cook for about 3 minutes until broccoli is softened but still crisp.
- Add the pasta, salt and Parmesan cheese to the pan and let cook for another 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with Salad an Grilled Vegetables.
Father Andrew’s Grilled Vegetables
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 2 Green Zucchini’s
- 6 cocktail tomatoes
- 1 large Tomato
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Slice all the zucchini and Yellow Squash in ¼ inch slices, cut tomatoes in half and seed them, in a small bowl add olive oil and minced garlic then use a pastry brush the tomatoes and zucchini with olive oil and garlic mixture. Take them out to the grill or do on top of stove if you have a grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on both sides.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.