This time, Kathryn is making dishes with Cranberries – yummy. First, Kathryn makes Cranberry Brie Bites, an appetizer to go with the main entree, which are German Hamburgers with Gravy and Mushrooms. Lastly, she makes a “Paula Dean” favorite, Pecan Cranberry Bars. Kathryn has had Paula on her radio and Tv shows and wants to thank her for the lovely recipe. In addition, Kathryn wants to thank our sponsors: 360 Cookware, Cornhuskers Gourmet Fat Spray, Marina’s Kitchen Circle B Ranch, Grillight, and JD’s Chili Parlor.
Octoberfest Ground Beef Burgers
Recipe from Mr. Food
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- ½ cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 12-ounce jar beef gravy
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms sliced
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, onion powder, salt, and pepper; mix well and form into 6 equal patties. Place bread crumbs in a shallow dish; coat patties evenly.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot; cook patties 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until no pink remains. Remove to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- Place gravy and mushrooms in the skillet and cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to soften. Spoon over patties and serve immediately.
- Serve with Red Cabbage and Rice.
Cranberry Brie Bites
Recipe from All Recipes
- 1 can Whole Cranberry Berries sauce (not the Jellied Sauce)
- 8 oz round of Brie
- 1 sheet Puff pastry found in the freezer section
- Chopped walnuts pr chopped pecans
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Roll the puff pastry into a rectangle. Then use a sharp knife to cut the puff pastry into 24 squares.
- Place your Brie in the freezer for about 20 minutes to make it easier to cut. After the 20 minutes remove the Brie from the freezer and cut it into 24 even pieces.
- Press the pastry squares into an oiled muffin tin. Spoon each square with a teaspoon of cranberries, then top with the Brie. Sprinkle with walnuts and a pinch of sea salt. Chill 30 min before baking. Preheat oven to 400° F
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
Paula Dean’s Spiced Cranberry Pecan Bars
I love these tasty Bars. You can freeze them as well.
Ingredients for Crust
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp apple pie spice I used a homemade recipe
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 egg
Ingredients for the Filling
- 5 cups fresh cranberries Divided
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp kosher salt 1 ½ Tablespoons of cornstarch
Ingredients for Topping
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- Preheat oven 350° F and line 13”x9” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, apple pie spice, baking powder, ginger, and salt. Cut in the butter using a hand mixer until crumbly. Next beat in egg. Reserve 1 cup mixture; press remaining into bottom of the pan. Bakparchment lined pan and bake until golden 18-20 minutes.
- In a large pot, mix 3 cups cranberries, sugar, applesauce, maple syrup, orange zest, orange juice, and salt; over medium-high heat, cook, stirring, until berries begin to burst. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 10 min. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with 1 1/2 Tbsp water; stir into berry mixture. Cook until thick, 2minutes. Remove from heat; fold in remaining berries. Spread over crust.
- Mix pecans, oats and 1 cup of crust mixture. Sprinkle on filling. Bake until golden, 30 minutes; let cool. Cut in bars. You can freeze the bars.