In August, I was visiting Florida and had so much fun cooking with these young people. Hope you enjoy our recipes.
Ice Cream in a bag
- 1 cup half & half or Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup 2 % milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar if you want it less sweet use 1/3 cup
- 2 ½ cups ice
- 2 -16 0 z Containers of Morton Kosher Salt
- In a Large Mixing bowl whip together the half and half, milk sugar and vanilla until well blended.
- The pour the mixture into 1 quart I used a one gallon bag Squeeze air out of bag and seal. Then in another bag add 1/3 full of ice add the other bag with liquid mixture then start adding salt and ice until the bag with ice and salt is filled I did not have to use all of the ice and salt . Seal and close.
- Shake bag for ten minutes we had multiple people shake it. After 10 minutes it will no longer be a liquid.
- Solid cream mixture rest covered with ice another 5 minutes. We put the ice cream bag in the freezer, while we made the microwaveable cakes to serve the ice cream.
Brayden’s –Beanless Chili
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ¼ cup green pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups V-8 juice or tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a large saucepan, cook beef green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain. Stir in tomato sauce and tomato juice, water, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or to desired thickness. Yield 2 to 3 portions.
Kathryn’s Version of Popcorn Cornbread
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ 3 lb Bag Yellow popping corn uncooked
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- Grind this until this becomes a fine powder it will make about one cup of powder.
- Add all wet ingredients and mix well, then add all dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well until all lumps are out then pour mixture into a greased 9×13 pan. Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes check after 30 minutes with a toothpick if it comes out clean take it out of the oven.
- Serve with butter and honey.