On this show, Father Umberg and I cook in memory of our dear friend, Mari Lou Ollier. The lasagna recipe is her’s.
- 1 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb ground beef (80/20)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 15 oz container ricotta or cottage cheese
- 3/4 lb mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 cups canned tomatoes undrained
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 6 oz cans tomato paste
- 12 oz box lasagna noodles
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Saute onion, garlic and meat in pan, stirring frequently until browned. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, basil, fennel, pepper, and half of parsley; mix well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and ½ cup water mashing tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, until thick 1 ½ hours. In a kettle bring 3 quarts of water and l tablespoon salt to boiling. Add lasagna, 2 or 3 at a time. Return to boiling, boil uncovered and stirring occasionally about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander. Preheat oven to 3750. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg, remaining parsley, and salt; mix well. In the bottom of 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish, spoon 1 ½ cups sauce. Layer with 6 lasagna noodles, lengthwise and overlapping, to cover. Spread with half of the ricotta mixture, top with a third of mozzarella. Spoon I ½ sauce over cheese; sprinkle with ¼ Parmesan. Repeat layering, starting with 6 lasagna noodles and ending with 1 1/2 cups sauce sprinkled with parmesan. Spread with remaining sauce; top with rest of mozzarella and parmesan. Cover with foil, tucking around the edge. Bake 25 minutes· remove foil· bake uncovered 25 minutes longer, or until bubbly. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Fr Umberg’s Orange Glazed Arugula Salad
- 1 Medium Navel Orange
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 15 oz box Baby Arugula
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 Tbsp (1/8 cup) craisins
- In a small skillet pour the olive oil and heat up till hot then add your orange zest
- Spread the zest around the skillet let boil for a few seconds and turn off heat add sugar, salt, and Balsamic Vinegar. Let it cool to room temperature then add the pecans and craisins. Put the Arugula in a bowl add dressing mix well and serve or refrigerate for 30 min.