Happy Cinco de Mayo
Kathryn and fellow chef and friend, Donna Griffin, prepare a Cinco de Mayo feast beginning with traditional Margaritas. Enjoy each recipe found below.
Servings: 4 drinks
- 2 cups Ice cubes
- 3/4 cup tequila 3/4 cup tequila 3/4 cup tequila
- 1/3 cup lime juice Fresh
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp egg white You can use Pasteurized egg whites or one small egg white
- 1/2 oz Triple Sec
- Lime slices Lime slices Lime slices
- In a blender container, combine the crushed ice, tequila, lime juice, powdered sugar, egg white, and Triple Sec. Cover and blend till very frothy. Transfer to a pitcher; garnish with lime slices. Serve in salt-rimmed cocktail glasses. Rub lime wedge on glass rim and invert glass into rim salt.
Cinco de Mayo Fruit Salad
- 1/2 honeydew melon cubed or make melon balls
- 1/2 cantaloupe cubed or make melon balls
- 1/2 large ripe papaya peeled, seeded, cubed
- 1 pint strawberries stemmed, halved
- 1 cup pineapple chunks Fresh is best but canned is okay.
- Fresh Mint Garnish
- 1/3 cup orange juice Fresh squeezed is best
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Mint minced
- 1 Tbsp sugar or honey (may also use Agave)
- Scoop seeds from the melons. Remove fruit from rind with a peeler or knife and using a melon baller or cut into 3/4 inch wedges. Place in large bowl. Add papaya, strawberries, pineapple and Jalapeño-Citrus Dressing; gently toss to combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours. Garnish with mint leaves.
- Combine orange juice, lime juice, mint, jalapeños and sugar in small bowl; mix well.
Spanish Chicken and Rice
In large stockpot or skillet melt 1/2 cup of butter and then add a little olive oil, then brown 1 chopped onion chopped garlic brown slightly then add 1 bunch of parsley chopped add the chopped peppers and cook until limp, and cooked chicken and spices. Chop 1 bunch parsley Chop 1 sweet onion Chop 1 red bell pepper Chop 1 orange bell pepper Chop 5 cloves garlic Mix the chicken and veggies all together in large bowl and turn out into a casserole dish. Garnish with chopped parsley
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 Pkg Saffron Yellow Rice (Cook as directed)
- 1 Packet Sazon Goya Seasoning (for rice)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 Medium Sweet onion (Maya, Vidalia, etc.) Chopped
- 1 Chop 1 red bell pepper Chop 1 red bell pepper Chopped
- 1 Chop 1 orange bell pepper Chop 1 orange bell pepper Chopped
- 5 Chop 5 cloves garlic Chop 5 cloves garlic Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/3 cup Mojo Sauce
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 4-5 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil Divided
- 1 bunch Flat Leaf Parsley Chopped
- Cook Saffron Yellow Rice as directed but add 1 packet of Sazon Goya B
- Cut four chicken breast halves into approx 1/2 inch chunks. In a deep skillet with 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil brown the chicken. Cook till no longer pink inside and remove from skillet.
- Sauté all until veggies are tender but still have a crunch. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add Mojo and Sazon. Mix the chicken and veggies all together in large bowl and turn out into a casserole dish. Dress with Parsley for Presentation.
- 16 oz Soft Philadelphia cream cheese (Two 8 oz packages)
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cans 8 ounce cans crescent roll dough sheets (if grocer doesn't have, use the crescent rolls but do NOT separate)
- 1/2 cup Butter melted
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat an oven to 350º F (175º C). Beat the cream cheese with 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and the vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. Unroll the cans of crescent roll dough and use a rolling pin to shape the each piece into 9x13 inch rectangles. Press one piece into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture into the baking dish, then cover with the remaining piece of crescent dough. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top of the cheesecake. Stir the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar together with the cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the cheesecake. Bake in the preheated oven until the crescent dough has puffed and turned golden brown about 45 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 squares.
Fried Sweet Plantains
- 1 cup Organic coconut oil
- 6 Ripe Plantains (Skins will be black)
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Remove skins and slice plantains on the diagonal. Heat organic coconut oil to in skillet to about 350º Fry in skillet until lightly browned on both sides. Do NOT crowd the skillet, fry in batches. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with remaining sugar Enjoy!