In this episode of “The Chef, You and I Show,” Kathryn Raaker prepares some of her favorite summer holiday recipes. First, Chef Kathryn prepares two appetizers, Stuffed Campari Tomatoes, and Watermelon & Feta Cheese Bites. Next, Chef Kathryn prepares a refreshing Mixed Berry Salad with Sweet Vinaigrette. For the main course, she makes an Almond Encrusted Cod made with Corn Huskers Duck Fat Roasted Almonds and Corn Huskers Gourmet Duck Fat Spray. Lastly, Kathryn makes a yummy summer dessert, Strawberry Cream Cake. All this comes together for a wonderful meal for Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, or any summer holiday!
Stuffed Campari Tomatoes Appetizer
- 1¼ cups crumbled goat cheese or cream cheese.
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme.
- ¼ Tbsp freshly ground black
- 8 Campari Tomatoes -leave stems on
- Keep additional sprigs of Thyme for the Garnish
- Mix goat cheese, onion powder honey, minced thyme, and ¼ tsp in a food processor. salt, process until smooth. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- 8 Slice off and reserve tops of tomatoes; using a small spoon, scoop out seeds from centers. Transfer, cut side down, to a paper towel; let drain.
- If desired, transfer the goat cheese mixture to a pastry bag fitted with to pastry bag fitted with the mixture (about 1 tsp. to 2 tsp.) into the bottom of each tomato. Transfer to serving platter. Top each tomato with the corresponding reserved top. Garnish with additional thyme sprigs. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Watermelon and Feta Cheese Bites
- 1 small Watermelon
- 16 oz Feta Cheese
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 basil leaves
- 12 Toothpicks
- Cut 12 (l") cubes from one small watermelon. Cut feta into 12 cubes. Using a toothpick thread 1 basil leaf, 1 block of feta, Lemon juice, and watermelon cubes.
- Transfer to a plate. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil; sprinkle with salt. Serves 12
Chef Kathryn’s Holiday Day Salad
- ¾ cup Blueberries
- 10 to 15 strawberries sliced
- 1 head Leaf Lettuce You can also use mixed lettuce
- 1-2 apples diced
- 2 cups watermelon cuble
- ½ cup Feta Cheese Crumbles
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp vinegar balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tear apart the leaf lettuce. Combine with fruit, berries, and feta. Chill. In a small jar, mix the dressing ingredients. Put on the lid and shake. Just before serving, pour dressing over salads. Enjoy
Almond Encrusted Cod
- 1 lb cod 4 fillets Cut up into cubes
- ½ cup Corn Huskers Duck Fat Roasted Almonds
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs unseasoned plain
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice (Approx. the Juice of one lemon)
- Corn Huskers Gourmet Duck Fat Spray
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- 1 Lemon cut into 4 slices for garnish
- Preheat the Oven to 400° F.
- Spray a Baking sheet with Corn Huskers Gourmet Duck Fat Spray.
- In a small food processor, pulse the almonds and the panko together.
- Add the Kosher salt, Fresh Cracked Pepper.
- Pat the fillets dry and place them in the Sprayed baking dish.
- Then top with breadcrumb mixture and squeeze the juice of the lemon on top of the fish.
- Spray with Gourmet Duck Fat Spray and roast for 15 to 18 minutes then take out of the oven put on the Serving Plate and garnish with English Parsley and add Lemon slices.
Strawberries and Cream Cake
- 1 French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil a neutral oil like Avocado oil
- 2 tsp strawberry preserves
- 12 oz ream Cheese softened at room temperature.
- 1 ½ cups confectionery sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half
- 1 lbs strawberries trimmed.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Coat 2 (9") round cake pans with cooking spray. Prepare cake mix according to package directions with eggs, oil, and 1 cup water. Stir in strawberry preserves. Divide between pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 min. Cool 10 min. Transfer from pans to rack; cool.
- On medium speed, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. On low, beat in ½ cup cream. Gradually beat in remaining cream. On medium-high, beat until stiff.
- Trim cake layers slightly if domed. Reserve 1 whole strawberry; slice the remaining strawberries. Place l cake layer on serving plate. Spread with 1 1 /3 cups cream mixture. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top and side with remaining cream mixture. Chill until set, 1 hr. Press some of sliced strawberries onto side of cake along bottom edge. Arrange remaining sliced strawberries in flower pattern on top of cake; place reserved whole strawberry in center.