The Chef You and I Show with Kathryn Raaker & Terry Young as they prepare Kathryn’s recipe for her favorite from England – Shepherd’s Pie. They also prepared a Greek salad with glazed carrots and mini pies for dessert.
Shepherd’s Pie – Chef Kathryn’s Version
- 8-10 Large Golden potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 lb. Ground Beef 80 to 90% Fat free
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 16 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- ½ cup frozen Peas
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
- 1 jar Beef Gravy
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 18 minutes. Drain and mash. Mix in butter, and sour cream and add egg yolk and mix into the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat, then stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add Beef Gravy, tomato paste and tomatoes. Stir into the mixture then add shredded carrots and peas Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Spread the ground beef mixture with carrots and peas in an even layer on the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. We used a 360 Pan from Oven to table Top with the mashed potato mixture under Broiler and let potato mixture become light brown take out and top with shredded cheese.
Chef Terry Young’s Honey Coin Carrots
- 5 carrots sliced into ¼ rounds
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- Add water to cover the carrots – we microwaved them for 5 minutes. Then take out add carrots add melted butter and honey serve as a side dish.
Chef Kathryn Americano Greek Salad and her own dressing
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 cups romaine lettuce -pre-washed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sweet onion cut into thin slivers
- 1/2 cup black olives -pitted
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup lemon olive oil
- ¼ cup fig balsamic vinegar
- Into a medium size serving bowl the following: Torn lettuce leaves, chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sweet onion black olives and shake the dried oregano on top then mix all ingredients and top with Feta Cheese.
- Add to salad and serve.
Mini Pudding Dessert
- Athens Phyllo Shells
- Store made Pudding
- Put about a tablespoon of pudding into the shells and then added different toppings like sprinkles, chocolate syrup whatever you desire for a topping.