Kathryn prepares two interesting soups and a Classic Italian Bruschetta in this show. But first, Kathryn makes her “piece of resistance” in her orange chocolate bark. Chef Kathryn teaches you simple, easy-to-prepare favorites. First is her Creamy Leek Potato Soup, and next is her Creamy Tomato and Basil Soup. These yummy winter soups will delight the whole family.
Orange Coconut Chocolate Bark
- 20 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 4 Tbsp navel orange zest
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or use electric candy melter or bowl and melt in a microwave at 20% power for 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate onto the lined baking sheet, 1/2-inch-thick Sprinkle the almonds, orange zest and coconut over the top. Refrigerate until set, about 60 minutes.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to a week Makes 4 to 8 servings.
Classic Italian Bruschett
- 1 ½ cups Chopped and seeded tomatoes
- 1 tsp lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- ½ tsp onion powder or minced onion 1/2 tsp garlic in original recipe
- 2 Tbsp sliced green Onion
- ¼ tsp Pepper- I used 1 teaspoon of Kathryn lemon and Pepper seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Basil chopped
- Pita Crackers Sea Salt
- In Medium Bowl combine Tomato, cheese onion, Olive Oil, Fresh Basil, Lemon juice, (Garlic) I used Onion powder. I used my Lemon and Peper seasoning or Pepper. Serve with Town House Pita Sea Salt
Chef Kathryn’s Cream of Leek and Potato Soup
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 4 chopped Leeks – both green Part and tops
- 3 Potatoes Peeled and Chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp Lemon and Pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 / 4 tsp pepper
- 24 oz sodium free or reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 10 oz Half and Half or Heavy cream
- Chop up all vegetables and add to chicken broth in a large pot till vegetables are tender about 10 minutes. Then add in baches out in blender or food processor and blend until liquid put into a large pot and add all spices to mixture. Then heat on low flame add the cream until well blended. Serve with Crusty bread or crackers.
Chef Kathryn Garlic-Free Tomato Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 28-ounce can Chopped
- 4 cups Chicken Broth- no sodium
- Heavy Cream or Half and Half
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Basil chopped
- ¼ tsp oregano
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until translucent. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 to 9 minutes. Remove from heat. Using blender, puree soup until in batches, then return to pot. Return to heat and stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, with a drizzle of cream swirled.