Join with Kathryn as she prepares these recipes on this episode of “The Chef, You, and I ,” where she will whip up a couple of cakes and prepare a special recipe using JD’s Chili made with ground beef from Circle C Ranch and using her 360 cookware. Sometimes Kathryn loves to bring up old recipes to make them new and this recipe for German Apple cake is one of those. In addition to the German Apple Cake, Kathryn also makes one of her favorites, Pistachio Lemon cake with cream cheese frosting. Lastly, Kathryn tries a recipe from JD’s Chili and pairs it with a Potato Pancake. Join with Kathryn as she prepares these recipes on this episode of “The Chef, You, and I.”
German Apple Cake
- 4 small apples
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice 3 large eggs
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp milk
- ½ cup Powdered sugar to sprinkle on the cooled cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease the bottom of a 9- or 10-inch springform
- Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Make a ¼ “slice in each apple quarter lengthwise but not all the way through the apple
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat for 30 seconds on high speed after each addition.
- Add vanilla sugar (or extract), salt, and lemon juice. Beat until combined.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer running on low speed add half of the flour, then 1 tbsp milk, followed by the remaining flour, and then the remaining milk. Beat until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Transfer batter into prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Take each quarter of the apples and turn them upside down so you see the slices. the apples all around the cake and then put next apples into inner circle on top of the batter in a circular pattern until all the apples are gone. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 45 minutes, until lightly browned and a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and remove the springform ring. Let cake cool on the bottom of the springform pan to room temperature. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cooled cake and serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Lemon Pistachio Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup shelled roasted pistachios crush them in food processor for about 30 seconds or less
- ½ cup of pistachios more for topping – Crushed
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/3 cup whole milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter Softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 3 eggs room Temperature
- ¾ cup ¾ cup Cream Cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream or 2 Tbsp of Half and Half
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the bottom of a buttered 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, then butter the paper. Place pistachios and lemon zest into a food processor bowl; pulse until finely ground (but not pistachio butter). Transfer mixture into a bowl. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk to combine; set aside. Whisk together sour cream, vanilla and milk in a small bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. With mixer on low, alternate adding the dry ingredients (in 3 additions) and the wet ingredients (in 2 additions), starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan, peel off the parchment paper, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting: Combine all frosting ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix just until smooth, being careful not to overmix or curdle the frosting. Frost the cake, then sprinkle on extra chopped pistachios. Serve or refrigerate until serving. Makes 8 servings.
- In a small bowl combine the Cream cheese 1 cup of powdered sugar and blend together I used my mixer on low and blended them add Whipping Cream and lemon zest, lemon juice and kosher salt. I increased the speed to medium on my mixer and whipped it till it was smooth. Then proceed to spread your icing on top of the cooled cake after icing sprinkle Lemon zest and crushed pistachios
Best Chili Ever- Served over Potato Pancakes
Diana Anderson's Best Chili Ever
- 1 ½ lbs of ground pork (from Circle B Ranch go to www.circlebranchpork.com to order.)
- 1 Jar JD’s Chili Tequila Lime Chili Fixins (to order https://www.jdschiliparlor.com/shop/)
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup yellow pepper I used the mini peppers
- ¼ cup red pepper I did not have the yellow pepper so added more of the red.
- ¼ cup orange Juice
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil- I sprayed my pan with Corn Huskers Gourmet Duck Fat Spray
- 1 1/2 shallots chopped (Diana uses ¼ onion diced)
- 1 clove garlic chopped (I omitted the garlic)
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups Frozen Shredded Potatoes for Hash Browns (I used Paper towels to get most of the moisture off potatoes and put them in the refrigerator for the next day.)
- 2 eggs Beaten
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- Sautee onion and garlic and peppers in avocado oil add pork and continue to cook until pork is no longer pink, drain off any excess fat. Add one jar of JD’s Chili Fixin’s Tequila Lime then add water, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, add sea salt to taste and serve over Potato Pancakes or Fritos.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and the Beaten eggs, flour, baking powder, salt mix well. If you need a little extra flour to add it to the mixture.Since we were using this as a base for our Chili dish, the chili was warming, and we put 1 to tablespoons of Olive Oil into the electric frying pan when it was hot add the potato mixture about 3 tablespoons for each Pancake, we made two pancakes. They need to be light brown on each side.
- We put them on a plate then used about 2 ladles of Chili on top of the Pancakes to serve. Add Mexican cheese to the top. And then served.
Since we were using this as a base for our Chili dish, the chili was warming, and we put 1 to tablespoons of Olive Oil into the electric frying pan when it was hot add the potato mixture about 3 tablespoons for each Pancake, we made two pancakes. They need to be light brown on each side.
We put them on a plate then used about 2 ladles of Chili on top of the Pancakes to serve. Add Mexican cheese to the top. And then served.