In this show, Kathryn prepares a beef stew using an Instant Pot.
Kathryn’s Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 lbs Beef Stew Meat (I used a Beef Round roast cut into cubes)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Lemon/Pepper Spice
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 16 oz Bag Baby Carrots Cut into Slices (can also use 1 cup of the precut carrots
- 1 Pound Potatoes Cubed
- 2 1/2 cups Low-sodium Beef Broth
- 1 ½ cans diced Tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp Ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 1/2-2 cups Red Wine or more beef stock
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Add the olive oil to the instant pot and turn on the sauté function. When the oil starts to sizzle add the meat and season with the salt, pepper, and spices. Cook the meat until Browned on all sides.
- Add the beef broth to the instant pot and use a spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, onion, carrots, potatoes, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and ketchup. Stir and close the lid and steam valve on the instant pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
- Mix the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until dissolved. Stir this into the stew until thickened.
- Serve with Crusty French Bread delicious
Kathryn’s Temecula California Romaine Salad with Dressing
- 1 medium Red Onion thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp Fresh Apple California Balsamic Blanco Vinegar Divided
- 3 Tbsp Temecula "Just Dress it Olive Oil" or your favorite Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup Asiago Cheese shredded and divided
- 3 heads Romaine lettuce Hearts torn
- 3 Tbsp dried Cranberries
- In a small bowl toss onion with 2 tablespoons of the Vinegar. Add ¼ tsp of salt let it marinade for at least 15 minutes.
- *In a large bowl whisk together remaining oil, mustard and remaining vinegar. Stir ¼ cup of the asiago cheese.
- Add Lettuce and gently toss to coat. Drain Onions and sprinkle over salad.
- Lastly, add the Dried Cranberries. Serve cold and sprinkle with remaining Asiago cheese.
*You can also make the dressing in a small jar. Add the ingredients and shake until emulsified.
Kathryn’s Persimmon Pudding cake
- 2-3 cups Hachiya persimmon pulp (Puree in blender or food processor
- ¾ cups sugar
- ½ cup butter melted
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup 2% Milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 12 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp Pumpkin spice
- 1 cup chopped nuts – *optional if allergies to nuts
- 3 Tbsp golden raisins use instead of nuts
- Whipping cream or ice cream
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Butter a *9 x 13 cake pan or use cooking spray (I use Pam).
- In a large bowl, mix the persimmon pulp, sugar, eggs butter, milk and vanilla. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a third at a time, until everything is mixed well together. Add the nuts (or the raisins for nut allergies).
- Serve with Whipping Cream or Ice Cream
*Note: If you prefer a thicker cake, you may use a 9-inch square pan but I prefer a thin pudding cake (about 1 inch thick)